Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Crockpot Lasagna


If you want a homemade comfort food with none of the hassle, then this will make you so happy. It makes me happy. Growing up with a mom who makes everything from scratch, you get used to the great meals. As a wife who works and goes to school full time, making homemade meals is very tough. I make all of the meals for the entire week, breakfast, lunch and dinner, on the weekend. So, I have to be creative if I want to get anything but cooking done. Here is another lifesaver that I keep close by.

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground beef
6 lasagna noodles
15 oz part-skin ricotta
1/4 cup parmesan
1  egg
2 tbsp parsley
1 16 oz jar spagetti sauce
2 cups mozzarella
1 cup water

First, brown your ground beef. I like to use lean ground beef because it will have less liquid and it's just a little bit healthier. Once your beef is all cooked, you will add a jar of your favorite red sauce. I vary it depending on what I have in my pantry. This is also where you will add the water. You want it to be very juicy since your lasagna noodles go in uncooked. 


The cheese mixture in the lasagna is a mixture of the ricotta, mozzarella, parsley, egg and parmesan. Add the ricotta, grated parmesan, grated 1 1/2 cup mozzarella, egg and chopped parsley to a bowl and stir. Make sure its well combined. Leave a little mozzarella for the end, about a 1/2 cup.



Next part, layering.



First, add enough of the red mixture to the bottom of your pot to cover it evenly. It will be about 1/3 of your sauce.


Next, break up 3 of your lasagna noodles to make a layer. 


Spread 1/2 of your cheese mixture over the noodles. Be gentle when spreading otherwise you'll take your noodles with the cheese.


Repeat the steps with the 1/3 of sauce, 3 lasagna noodles and 1/2 of the cheese mixture. You'll finish with the last of the sauce.


Cook for 2-3 hours, until the liquid is mostly gone on top. With 10 minutes left I like to add the 1/2 cup mozzarella to melt over the top.

Serve with some warm bread and a veggie. You're left with about 6 servings of yummy lasagna that will be sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. I say this since my handsome husband is pretty picky and he loves this lasagna. 



No comments:

Post a Comment