Friday, September 21, 2012

Taking Risks

Since I've started a new job, I've mentioned that I've experienced growing pains. I haven't yet found where my niche in the company which is normal for a new job but I think in the past couple of weeks I've started to find it. I am covering for a lady who is on medical leave and it's been a little frustrating since it isn't at all what my job will be when she comes back but I've focused on looking at it as an opportunity to learn and develop in the company. The faster I learn the sooner I will be we're I would like.

So, lately I've been just looking at everything as a learning opportunity as well as an opportunity to show that I am open to anything. Just because my title says this or my job description says that doesn't mean that I can say no to helping with other things. I've also been working on my patience. Of course things aren't going to go as quickly as I like. Life in general isn't that way. We have to develop and grow, otherwise no one would be a lower level worker.

This new attitude of just going with the flow has come across well with my boss. She gives me more interesting things to do along with little things she needs even if it's contact information for one of our vendors. If she needs me to do those things, well then I do it and I do it quickly.  As a result, she's mentioned me spearheading different projects and potential opportunities have been mentioned.

Every opportunity, even if it doesn't really look like one because it is something small or seemingly insignificant, can turn into a big opportunity that can lead anywhere. My attitude is based on that. Since I'm new, I don't know what will turn out to be the opportunity that helps me grow, so everything is an opportunity, even if it looks like it's boring, beneath my position or not. Taking advantage of opportunities requires that you don't get a big head and say that some of them aren't worth your time. If you want an opportunity, everything is worth your time and work.

It doesn't have to be only job related either. It could be in relationships. If Brian hadn't taken a chance on me 4 years ago even though he certainly didn't expect marriage, we wouldn't be here today, happier than ever. Opportunities are just open doors that you need to work with to make something out of. Just because an opportunity presents itself doesn't mean that it will do all of the work for you.

Since the response of my boss to my new outlook has been great, I think I'm starting to find what my company needs out of me and it looks like it will be a very exciting opportunity. I'm glad now that I took the risk.

There are no benefits without risking something, your heart, livelihood, or stability. The risk could be anything, it's all about deciding the risk is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment