Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Those Who Listen

When I was in high school, I used to write poetry quite often. I was in poetry club and even got to the point that I could perform in a contest and after performing two times, I won the second. If you know me, you know that it is difficult for me to speak in a public setting. My knees shake, my voice wavers and my heart is beating so fast it feels like it will literally jump out of my chest. The first time I performed my own poetry I'm sure it's no surprise that I lost. However the next year, I was determined to learn why I had lost and then fix it. It was all about my presentation. With poetry you have to speak with emotion. It's pretty much a rap song without the music. You have to have a rhythm, emotion, and style.

I haven't written much poetry since high school between work and school. Writer's block has also stumped me. Poetry was how I got out all of my frustrations, hurt, and anger. It was a safe outlet when I was hurting. When people started liking it, it was weird to me, since it was all of my frustrations coming out. Yet, people like hearing that what they're feeling isn't exclusive only to them.  I didn't realize it when I was writing, but I was reaching out to other people. I was pulling them into my world. I was helping them not feel alone. I didn't know that I could give that gift to other people. All I had to do was share my gift. That's it. It was as simple as putting myself out there.

Even though it sounds simple, putting yourself out there is a very scary thing to do. People can be mean, make fun of you, judge you. The backlash could be great. It is so easy to stop yourself, to hold yourself back because of the fear. But, if I had never shared my gift, others wouldn't have benefited from it. I would have been hogging it, keeping others from sharing in it. It's scary but worth it.

Even now as I write this blog, I know others don't share in my opinion. I know others don't share in my beliefs. I'm not going to be mad or angry at comments I get for putting myself out there. What I am going to do is rejoice with those who benefit from me sharing my story and my marriage. What I have come to realize is that sharing your gifts aren't about those who don't like it. It's about those who do.

If Jesus had worried about those who would condemn Him for sharing his gift of forgiveness instead of sharing it for those who would benefit then we would not have a savior. We are told that as Christian we will be condemned by others, but if we don't share that gift as well, we are hoarding the gift of heaven for ourselves. Give to others. Share your stories. Share your gifts. Share and don't worry about those who don't like your story. It's the ones who listen that matter.

Given how many people have nothing in this world, the least we can do is give that which costs us nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment