Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mutual Growth

I love you not only for what you are,
But for what I am when I am with you.

I love you not only for what you have made of yourself,
But for what you are making of me.

I love you because you are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern, but a temple;
Out of the words of my everyday
Not a reproach, but a song.

I love you for the part of me that you bring out;
I love you for putting your hand into my heaped-up heart
And passing over all the foolish, weak things
That you can't help dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out all the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked quite far enough to find.

                                                        - Roy Croft

I love this poem, I think it is a great representation of what a marriage can be. Marriage can be about mutual growth, where we serve and uplift each other. With Brian I am a much better person that I was alone. He makes me a better me. He doesn't try to change me. What he does do is bring out those qualities that make me better than I was before him.  I was a painfully shy girl when we met but Brian saw these spurts of what I'm like when you get to know me (a complete dork). Those spurts are what Brian drew out of me and I find myself more capable of being an extrovert. He showed me that who I am is worth showing to new people.

How does your significant other uplift you? How have you grown together?

No comments:

Post a Comment